So there was this thing, called a Typhoon that blew through Korea last week. Thankfully the city of Daegu did not get much. We had rain and wind, but nothing too major. Although I did see where the wind took out a sign on a building, taking the rebar and concrete with it, thus landing on about five cars in a parking lot. It definitely cooled the city down a bit so that was nice. Apparently most large weather fronts don't affect Daegu the same as the rest of Korea because we are surrounded by "mountains".
After the Typhoon was a Tropical Storm. The tropical storm actually gave us more rain that the typhoon. I survived both, unscathed. That was definitely a relief. I even got to wear my rain boots once. Great times. My umbrella is broken though, so I think it's time to invest in a good one, not the $1 one I had before.
I got a wonderful package in the mail on Monday. Good grief, it was like a Christmas miracle, but pretty much everything from home is a miracle if you get it in Korea. There was so much stuff in there! There were; packets of cheese, bacon beans, a magazine, a Kempo medallion (I totally cried when I opened that), a movie, lots of snacks (many of which I have put into a container so I don't eat them all at once), Packer chocolate, taco seasoning, gravy mix. Seriously, awesome mail.
This week was a bit interesting. I got paid, FINALLY! And looking at my bank account was so cool. I was a MillionWonair. Seriously too many digits in the account and it's not that much money. But it means that next month I can go open a CitiBank account here and finally send some money home. Hopefully there shouldn't be too many issues.
I tried to get a new cell phone this week. Apparently, in Korea, you can only activate a phone a few days a week. The first day I went in, they didn't have the Iphone (which I wanted because I can pay for unlimited data). The next day I went in, thinking I could get my phone. Turns out, at 8:30pm on a Friday night the "network" is already turned off and no activations until Monday. I was a bit ticked off and I am sure the Koreans were thinking "We let this foreigner teach kids" (While I was walking down the street shaking my fist in the air). Lovely times Korea.
I made my Mac and Cheese that night, it was amazing. The best food I have made since I have been here. Well the happiness was lost of Friday. I went to heat up the leftovers and wouldn't you know it, I dropped the container on the floor. Ugh great lunch. I was pretty sad that I lost my Mac and Cheese. That is a precious commodity.
We went on a field trip on Friday and holy moly. I was laughing so hard I was crying. It was hilarious. Koreans over act everything. I knew this, but I hadn't prepared myself to see it in person. We saw Peter Pan, and of course it was in Korean. So I was dying of laughter at something I didn't understand. They had American songs (that were not really appropriate for the play) and the acting was crazy. Definitely an interesting experience.
Friday night was also the welcome dinner for the foreign teachers at my school. It was interesting but I left hungry. We were only allowed to order certain things and no one was ordering more. Oh Korea.
Guess what everyone. I found Downy at the store. So I did a load of laundry (which is still drying) but I am hopeful that it will make my clothes look and feel better. I miss the dryer. This is taking forever.
*Cell Phone Update Monday* Apparently the activation system was not working and I would have to come back tomorrow. That made it three trips to the cell phone store. If this happened in the US I would call the company and find a new one, unfortunately I don't speak Korean and I have no idea which store to try.
After the lovely experience with my cell phone I was sitting in my apartment and my internet just stopped working. Of course there is nothing I can do about this either because I have no idea who the land lady is. Lovely, lovely day. You win again Korea. On the bright side, I get to go back to the states eventually, while Korea will still be Korea.
First world problems.
*UPDATE* My new Iphone works! Ahhhhh It's a Christmas Miracle!
Hi Sam,
ReplyDeleteI was a little behind in reading your posts. But catching up now. The mac and cheese looks sooooo good. I'm going to try making it that way too.
Some of the things that you are experiencing are so funny and different, but really interesting just because the cultures are so different. If nothing else, you'll come back knowing how different it is there and that neither are "right", just different. I'm sure they have reasons for everything they do, just like we do. So keep asking Why?
We took down two of the pine trees on the top of the hill by John and Amys this weekend. They weren't getting enough sun and were dying. Lots of work but my brother and Derek did the chopping and the digging. It makes mowig the hill a lot easier now!
I hope you can see some football this fall. I'm trying to be ready but it seems too soon. I guess one more week of games and I'll adjust.
Lynnae