So it has been a couple weeks since my last post, sorry everyone. Obviously lots of things have happened, I mean when is something not happening here. So hopefully I can condense my thoughts and give you the basics. I miss the states, have I said that? I am sure I have, but guess what wonderful Internet world! My favorite people in the states are coming to visit me! That's right, it has been confirmed and there are seat assignments. I have the best family in the world, and I would know since I am 6500 miles away.
Ok onto other news. My students have been teaching me one Korean word a day during circle time. I have however bent the rules a bit and they taught me to count (one way) to ten one day. There are four different number systems in Korea and of course I am so confused. I am trying my best. So far they have taught me; 1-10, hello, sorry, goodbye, my family, wait, shoes, market (lol it's market and camera is camera), left turn, cheese, duck and 1-4(of these, so 2 of these). Very exciting stuff. And I have picked up (it's ok and how much is that) from my co-teacher. I am trying!
It's almost Halloween and since I am in Korea I went with something very Korean. It is basically pajama onsie, and it is a duck. I think the kids are going to get a kick out of it. I promise to post pictures of all the kids on Halloween, I think Princess is the trend this year. It will be an interesting day.
I met a new friend. She is from WI! Amazing! It is really nice to have someone outside of school that I can talk to. I love the girls at my school, but seriously you can only hang out with the same people so much. She is teaching at another hagwon in Daegu. It is such a breath of fresh air to talk to someone who is also a Packer fan and can actually talk football. Lovely change I must say.
This past weekend Kristen and I went and tackled Seomun Market. It is a traditional market in Daegu, and is absolutely huge. While we were walking from the subway people were on the streets selling things. We had stopped at one point and something moved out of the corner of my eye. There were live fish (they looked like tiny snakes) in this shallow metal bowl. Ahhh scared the crap out of me. We were looking for yarn (because I need a hobby, and why shouldn't I try to knit, or crochet) and believe it or not we found a person selling some, not an easy feat. Well I used my best Korean, and a calculator, to ask the woman how much the yarn was. She understood me! Hooray! Then when I said thank you and good bye she said "Thank you". Very cool.
I made it to the three month mark everyone. While sitting outside, having a drink in front of the local convenience store (because yes you can do that here) on Friday night I learned something new. I learned that none of the other teachers thought I was going to stay this long. One of them even said she thought about standing outside my door during Chuseok to check on me. I am proud to say I have made it. After being able to finally send money home I feel like I have accomplished something.
Last week as I was coming into school I was thinking how I hadn't gotten any snail mail in a while, and when I got to my desk there was a very pleasant surprise. I had a lovely card from my grandparents. It definitely made my day. I love getting notes and cards. And every single one of them gets put on my wall, anything to distract from the flowers on everything. I'm glad I didn't bring much pink clothing or I would need a new wardrobe.
Alright well I think that's it for now. Did I mention that my mom and my brother will be coming for Christmas? Only 64 days away! So excited! LALALALALA yea that's not even a little bit of how I am feeling.
Oh one more thing. My little kids in kindergarten have started repeating my little rhymes and things for how to write their numbers, and how to remember double vowel sounds. Progress!
No comments:
Post a Comment