Friday, November 2, 2012

Field Trips, Treats and News


So once again I am slipping in my blogger duties and haven't updated in a while. I am sorry! So here are the highlights, and a few pictures to make you even more jealous of the adorable kids I see everyday. Don't let the big brown eyes foul you, they are naughty kids.

So we had a field trip a week ago. We went to a park, which was actually really cool. The kids had a chance to harvest what we believe was a type of wheat. Definitely not the kind I am used to seeing, but I know it was not rice like everyone was saying. The kids were able to cut the stalks, and then use a machine to get all the usable grain off the stalk. The picture is pretty cute. She is one of my favorite students.
Kristen and Me

I have been hanging out with my friend Kristen, who is from WI. Amazing! Someone who understands that football is not just a sport, it's a way of life. Although when we first started talking I wasn't sure we could be friends, we both like Clay Matthews (my future husband).

Seomun Market, Daegu
I went to Busan last weekend. Took the train (for only the 2nd time since I have been in Korea) and caught the subway from there. I was met by my friend Jayna who came to Daegu when I first moved here, she was a life saver that weekend too. This weekend we were going to see a comedy show (and yes it was in English) and then a fireworks festival the next night.

The comedy show was amazing. The MC for the night was hilarious, watch the video below. There have always been lots of rumors and stereo types about foreigners in Korea and he sings about them to a T.

The next day was the fireworks festival. We woke up to down pour rain. Lovely. We well met up with some of Jayna's friends and completely soaked ourselves trying to get to the beach. It was a nice beach, I'm sure I would enjoy it when it's not a mud pit. We ended up hanging out in a coffee shop for a few hours waiting for the fireworks, but as it turned out the waves and rain had other plans. We were told (in Korean) that the fireworks were postponed to the next night.

While we weren't able to see the fireworks the trip was a lot of fun. We went out to dinner, went out for drinks and I met some really cool people. Hopefully I can head down to Busan a couple more times before Jayna leaves the ROK.

Look at my cute class
Halloween came next. Let me tell you, kids in costumes are adorable. Now we had a Halloween party (organized by my friend Kelly, and she did an awesome job) on Tuesday. The kids were so cute and had a ton of fun. The teachers dressed up too, more the foreign teachers than the Korean ones but it was cool anyway.

6 year old teacher costumes
It's finally the weekend again! And before I left school today I got some amazing news. We found out the dates for Christmas vacation and I will be off December 22-January 2. Good Golly Miss Molly hell has frozen over. None of the teachers saw that one coming. But that means that there are no complications with the best Christmas present ever (my mom and brother coming to the ROK). I even get a couple days to clean my apartment (yea I'm not buying that one either).

Well hope everyone is well. In other, unrelated Korea news I have turned in my resume and interest letter to AK. Who knows, in a year I might be hanging out in frigid Alaska with a real teaching job.
Spider hats!


Here is the lovely video from our comedy show, all about foreign English teachers. I died laughing.  

No comments:

Post a Comment