So a friend from home asked me to give you all an update about what my students are learning and how they are all doing so here it goes.
Phonics: We are half-way our second phonics book. My kids are learning short vowel sounds. So we are doing words like; mat, hit, dam, jam, red, and jet. They are doing really well with it. Some days they have a bit of trouble being loud enough, and they lack enthusiasm, but I am pretty silly so we work it out.
Writing: We are busy in our writing book. The kids get new sight words every week and we practice them everyday. It's crazy that they are able to pick all of this up so fast. I feel like I would be a blubbering idiot if this was expected of me. Their handwriting is improving and it's so cool to see how far they have come. I still have a student who forgets letters in her name, but she doesn't look at her name tag to even try and get the answer right.
Reading: We have moved from our high frequency stories to a book that has a small story a week. We focus on comprehension and what the story was about. We add vocabulary every week.
My kids love Science but the science curriculum we have stinks. It is pretty ridiculous to think that they understand any of what is going on, and it is not that interesting. Most of the time the "experiment" is really just a craft for me to put together and talk about. Yay
We have Music and Gym with an outside Korean teacher once a week. The kids really enjoy that. I kind of enjoy the music class, the teacher sings American songs, but doesn't actually look up the English words so some of the lyrics are a bit off.
My afternoon elementary class is hysterical. I have the same awful co-teacher from last semester but the kids make it worth it. They are quick witted and funny. They speak wonderful English (most of them do) and they think my last name is Donkey. They also spell Minnesota minesoda. Good times.
Well that's just a little insight into my wonderful classes. Hope that helps. I will miss these kids when I leave, but that just isn't enough to put up with my crazy boss and co-teachers.
No comments:
Post a Comment