Monday, April 15, 2013

Spontaneous Seoul

The awesome Friday dinner
I made
New Chinese restaurant 
Did you get the word play? Pretty great right? Well this past weekend was a whirlwind. I feel like I need a weekend to recover from my weekend. Friday night was a good one. Kaylee and I hung out, ate dinner, watched a movie, and just enjoyed our drinks quietly.

Saturday was a little bit different. We finally motivated ourselves to get lunch at 2pm (at a new Chinese restaurant). The restaurant was interesting. They serve shark fin soup, which we absolutely didn't get but it was on the menu. We had fried rice and garlic chicken. From what I remember it was pretty close to Chinese food back home, haven't eaten meat in my Chinese food in a while.
Cherry Blossoms at night

Kaylee tried to sleep on
the train, silly girl.
After lunch we went to sit on Kaylee's roof, it's much more appealing than mine. Kaylee's guy friend (I don't have a good term for him, we call him Dude) hung out with us. He was headed to Seoul that night and invited us along. Now, if you know me at all you know that I am like my mother, I need a plan. So when I turned to Kaylee and said "Let's go to Seoul," she was a bit shocked. By 7pm we were on a train to Seoul.

Now Grandma and Grandpa you should probably stop reading, I don't want you to get the wrong impression.

We started with dinner (probably our 4th meal of the day) at about 10:30pm. We were out until about 7:30....a.m. Yep I finally did it. I stayed out, drinking, and singing Noribang, until the next morning. Mind you this is not uncommon in Korea but it was pretty crazy for me. I could have used my sunglasses when we got back to the hotel that morning.

Awesome soup
I needed some help. 
We got a couple hours of sleep and we were off again. Dude took us Insadong, which has all of these great "authentic" shops, mostly everything is handmade. It's a tourist spot. We saw a Palace and the President's house, called the Blue House. It has a blue roof.

Then we went to a fabulous restaurant where I had this amazing soup. In Korea they have this great soup where they stuff a chicken, a whole chicken with rice and herbs. Then they boil it for hours. Then they serve you the whole chicken with broth. It was amazing. Of course I ate it wrong, as I always do with Korean food and Dude had to help me with the chicken extraction, you have to move it to a second bowl.

Awesome? Nope, wrote
it wrong
Beautiful day for cherry blossoms. 
We then went north of City Hall and went to a small museum where they show you the history of a war between Japan and Korea. Korea won a battle at sea with 13 ships against the Japanese 133. We saw a 4D show about it, and even wrote our names in Hangul. It was absolutely amazing. I am so glad that we had someone who knew about all of this stuff.

We walked along a man-made river for a bit and then took off to the Cherry Blossom Festival. It was great to see all those trees in bloom. While Dude gave us an awesome tour I learned that different parts of the military are responsible for different bridges in Seoul. If at any point NK made it to Seoul the military would blow up all the bridges to the lower part of Seoul. Pretty crazy right?


We finally made it back to Daegu at 8pm on Sunday night. Talk about a whirlwind.



Making fools of ourselves. 













No comments:

Post a Comment